Thursday

My Soccer Journey








I still remember watching my first World Cup in Italia '90. (I may have watched some of Mexico '86, but I don't remember). I only remember the games on the USA network and they would cut to commercials throughout the game. When the game would come back on, there was often one or two goals scored...bad luck for the viewer I guess? In the '94 Cup in the USA, the television innovaters in the US used our marketing genius to put the score and advertisements in the corner of the tele-screen during games to prevent interuption (something all sports would steal from soccer).

By this time, the Blake family was well on their way from transitioning from a basketball family to a soccer family (a little discussed movement in the Michael Blake family). The round of 16 loss to Brazil on Independence Day set a precedent for Blake holidays and hangouts as the family gathered to cheer our nation to victory. The precendent was also set as the Jason Blake ran "Masterpiece Painting" (who happened to employee Tom and Paul Blake) focused on the games instead of their work. (Good thing we were saving for college since we were in the 5th grade....true story).

The MLS kicked off the inaugural season (with my college team playing before the first Wiz
game of all time) shortly after the World Cup; and mom and dad had season tickets with mom bringing her yellow card to the games to show off to the opposing teams when necessary.

Jason actually paid for cable for the 1998 games in France (good thing France hosted so they could qualify). Jason and I claimed to have watched every single game; but mom and dad's professional soccer enthusiasm began to wane as they focused on Susan's rising soccer career and skills (thanks in large part to her club coach).

And who can forget the early mornings/late evenings for Japan/Korea 2002? Leah and I began our relationship during the hermit-like season that is the month of a World Cup. After Brazil lifted the trophy, I knew she was the one because we were still dating (I was also playing twice a week). Plus, it was a quarter final finish for the USA (we should have made it to the semifinals if not for the German hand ball on the goal line that was never called) so Leah was destined to be a fan of the world's most popular sport. We got cable at my house in the hood with Nate and Seth and then cancelled the cable shortly after the games, but we still had free cable until the day they sold the house...life in the hood is good...plus it was free rent (I miss Luna).

Well, soccer has come a long way in the US, and I am glad to be alive during the "birthing process" (Wyatt William will be born around thanksgiving time). MLS has almost completed its 10th season and the Wizards were the champions in 2000. My best understanding is that the Wizards will get a new stadium in Johnson County and an ownership group that stands behind us. Not a bad place to "raise your kids on Wizards soccer" (Leah Blake).

And, as of Saturday night, the US men's national team, your red, white, and blues, have qualified for the World Cup next June in Germany. We beat Mexico 2-0 to finish a qualifying campaign that has lasted about 2 years. Well done Yanks...and Go USA! (this is about as patriotic as I ever get...so enjoy).

4 comments:

Andy Michael said...

I can't wait for the WORLD CUP next year. I will be cheering on any British country that qualifies (not just Wales - any country) and I will be cheering on USA. I will also be getting cable and DVR for the duration and then cancelling it! I might even take time off work for the big games!
Who's up for some world cup parties in June?!

Jack McDoer said...

what about the comets? i wish i remembered how their song went. something like doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo. lots of flashy lights too.

Anonymous said...

So, I have a blog and you have a blog. Isn't that convienent?

Anonymous said...

uh-huhhhhh.

exactly.