Saturday

Out and About

We visited the Shuk, which is the big market area filled with fresh everything: olives of all varieties, huge red strawberries, bread in all varieties, fish with their heads intact and a lot of people. I've been told to visit it on a Friday as people prepare for Shabbat, but we were there Thursday and it was plenty busy. It's similar to most European open air markets, except no pig heads hanging around.





Once I get my legs under me I plan on actually buying something. I guess technically we did buy something -- pizza! Two different kinds, one with a top crust and one folded over the top in a triangular shape, so all the cheese and sauce stayed inside. Since they don't eat pork the varieties of toppings (or fillings) is interesting. This time we had red pepper and some type of cheese, perhaps gouda. Delicious!

We then went to the central bus station to get our transportation, or RavCav, cards. Another unique Irsaeli experience, there was no office, just a desk set up in the hallway. The man who helped us was a gift from G-d. There are a lot of technicalities to the card, and if you're a student or a native then you get discounts. But Tom's school is not recognized by the system yet, due to paperwork and the newness of the lightrail. We didn't think we'd get any kind of discount, but our friend George suggested we at least try to get a discount. "Stranger things have happened in Jerusalem," he said.

And sure enough it happened! Not only did Tom get a student discount, but I did as well (technically I get to take a class each semester) and Cassidy got a discount as well, for being, um, cute, I guess. We are blessed to have the cheaper rates, since we'll take the lightrail to Cassidy's school five days a week and anytime we go south of French Hill (or north of Talpiyot for now). As Pop said, a penny saved is a penny earned.

2 comments:

Carlye said...

That's wonderful! I'm so excited and blessed to see what neat and new things the L-rd is doing for His faithful ones. Such an encouragement to my heart to read this. :) May He continue to do abundantly more than you would ever imagine!

mountain girl said...

That market sounds really fun. I wonder if it might become one of your favorite hangouts once you get over the strangeness of your new surroundings. I really like hearing about your adventures in Jerusalem. Hmm...your blog name might not quite fit anymore!