Wednesday

Marriage

We have some Jerusalem friends who just returned to the States for their daughter's wedding so I've been praying for their travels and their time with family. As I'm praying the overwhelming sense is this: we need G-d to be in our marriages.

Tom is incredible. From the very beginning he has been more than I dreamed I would end up with (minus the ability to grow a beard). Our first year was one of learning and we emerged as better communicators (well, I did, he was my teacher) and realized that though marriage is fun, it's a lot of work. I used to tell people that marriage is like a perpetual slumber party with your best friend. And while that's true, sometimes there are pillow fights, or you can't agree on what movie to watch, or he hogs all the popcorn.

Enter Yeshua. Because even best friends mess up. Or worse... But the point is, even though you want to believe you can always count on your spouse, you can't. And then you count on the One who brought you together. And trust Him, because all His ways are good, even when you're hurt.

I need this reminder, because frankly, my husband is INCREDIBLE. Right now he's heading back from taking Cassidy to school, in the rain, on public transportation. After staying out really late helping friends paint their baby room. He spent the last 4 months busting his cute buns to learn not just one new language, but two, meanwhile pouring into me and Cass, and a handful of other people seeking love, relationship and wisdom. But all of this is possible because He maintains a healthy, open relationship with the Giver of Life. And I'm convinced that's why this marriage of hard knocks and long distances works. 'Cause sometimes I don't follow through on my end of the deal, and he gives me grace for that.

Thank the L-rd for your marriage today (or keep praying for your future spouse!;) I am) and then thank Yeshua for Himself.

2 comments:

-J- said...

I have been asking the Lrd for awhile now if it is actually possible to feel the same way about Him as two people who are really in love feel. Can i actually be moved the same way by Him as i am by say, my beautiful girlfriend? It's been a wrestle, because I can literally see her, literally hear her, literally experience her effort in showing me she cares about me... But can a spiritual being connect with me in the same real tangible way my girlfriend can?
Now, the theological answer is yes He can do anything!! But that still leaves me wanting to actually FEEEEEEEL it!! and then of course i struggle with thoughts along the lines of 'maybe this desire to experience G-d tangibly is too silly, too base and that i must learn to enjoy a 'deeper' relationship with Him.'
BUT, reading this post is making me all excited because coincidentally, today is the first day that I felt a hint of His tangible love on the way home... It's a new feeling and it's good! It's so good to actually feel His goodness!!!

So, i thought i would love on Him a little bit by telling others how well He loves me!! THANK YOU YESHUA FOR YOURSELF!! YOU ARE THE BEST AT BEING YOU!

Good post Leah, well played! :)

Stephanie Griggs said...

Thanks for your post Leah. I always enjoy the glimpses into your life and thoughts through your writing. But this post gave me a peek into your marriage. I've always been amazed by the marriage you seem to have (at least from the outsiders view) and hoped for my own to be as beautiful. We just had our one year anniversary and your words expressed it well-- that it is a lot of learning and mistakes and communication. We are best friends. And we really like each other. But you're right. There is also the imperfection and selfishness that brings bumps and yes even hurt. I'm comforted to hear that two people I look up to in so many ways are also very much dependent on the Third Person in their marriage. I find He is the best resource and encouragement and conviction. It's not easy, but I think we are on the right path holding His hand and each other's hand. Thanks for your post!