Tuesday

yesterday i realized why i don't eat lunch with my children. i used to think it was because i didn't want to have to talk during the meal. i just wanted quiet time to read my book and enjoy my food. now i realize it's because i want to eat.

i served the kids first: turkey, cheese, grapes. this kept them occuppied long enough for me to make a sandwich for myself. but as soon as i sat down they needed more water. then more grapes. and some more cheese. and a little bit of turkey. i took two bites here, a bite there, and became so frustrated that i gave up.

i'm a foodie. anytime i invest energy into a meal i want to enjoy it. on occassion i make meals i don't particularly enjoy and then the desire to relish in it isn't as strong, but i still like to eat without having to get up every two minutes.

so even though it's more socially ideal to eat lunch with the kids, this has become a joke and i will go back to my old ways of holding off my hunger until they are snuggled in their beds for naptime. then i will enjoy my book and get out of my chair only for dessert.

in a somewhat unrelated event, here's cassie pouting because it's not time to eat the challah bread yet. this is one of the kids' favorite foods. last time i made sweet challah (raisins and cinnamon inside) wyatt ran around the house giving me and tom kisses and yelling, "sweet challah! sweet challah!" (the round loaf is the sweet one. wyatt doesn't like the regular kind. cassie is like her father, she'll eat anything i make.)

4 comments:

jdmartin said...

I'm with Cassie - waiting on bread to be ready is no fun at all.

Lauren Blake said...

Your sweet challah is something special and should be celebrated as Wyatt did. What a wonderful way to start out your Shabbat. MY thoughts on the eatting with kids, right now I would rather sleep during nap time so I just push past and eat sometimes with him or sometimes after while he is playing for the 5 min. before the nap.

Susan said...

The picture makes me want my own challah board. Did Tom get that in Israel? It makes the picture.

Kait said...

Leah, you're the bee's knees. I mean it. The cat's PJ's.