Tuesday

Butterfly Time

Last summer Big Cassie gave little Cassie a chrysalis that was getting ready to become a Monarch butterfly. As I remember it was actually for Wyatt and Cassidy, since he would love the orange color, but he wasn't around to see it emerge.

Sidenote: Just recently, because of the Gospel Portion, I shared with Little Cassie about how the butterfly represents resurrection. I showed her the picture of Lazarus in her Bible, when he is all wrapped up. It was the perfect illustration of the caterpillar being "wrapped up" and then emerging as a butterfly into new life, like Lazarus did, and like Wyatt and Zeke.

Although we didn't make it to the Monarch Watch event this weekend Big Cassie brought us a chrysalis again. We strung it up on the stick and watched it dangle, as it gave us a sneak preview of its contents.
  Last night I was certain the little butterfly would come out, and sure enough when I walked into the kitchen this morning it was clinging to the string, it's wings not full size and it's body spotted and fat.

  Slowly throughout the day it grew and stretched and hopped about. Finally this afternoon we felt it was ready to go outside. I opened the front door and it flew away, up into the treetops and Cassidy said, "It's beautiful." It truly is. Thanks for sharing, Big Cass.
And since BC requested it, here's the video of Cassidy and her butterfly last year. I am so glad I caught this on film.
Something else that's beautiful: how much Cassidy loves this guy. Thanks for sharing him, Big Cass.

4 comments:

cass said...

I laughed a little at the video, again. I would have typed lol, but I guess I don't really do that(type lingo & actually laugh-out-loud.) PS your butterfly looks like a girl. Thanks for the post!

cass said...

Oh, and thanks Tom for getting her a coke!

A. Maasen said...

that video made me laugh. Lil Cass does love Sam a ton, she gets so pumped to be around him. But dont we all - I mean come on he is fantastic. maasen

mountain girl said...

We ordered butterfly larvae about a week ago, so hopefully we'll get to see a "resurrection" too! Hope Cass is loving school - what an exciting new adventure!