Monday

Birthday without the Boy

A few weeks ago I asked Cassidy what she wanted to do for Wyatt's birthday. It's become our family tradition to get books for the boys' birthdays, both earthly and heavenly. We wrap them up and put them on the dining room table, like we used to when Wyatt was still here. It's a nice, simple tradition, that always reminds me of the birthday morning when they both woke up and Wyatt said, "Look Cassie! Balloons!" He said it over and over, I could hear the excitement in his voice as I laid in bed.

Waiting for her response I could see the wheels spinning in her little mind, trying to think of something we could do, something extraordinary (and more fun than going to the grave). Then, as though it was the most brilliant idea ever, she said, "Let's go to Chuck E. Cheese!"

About two months ago Tom took her there on a special date night and she loved it. So much so, that when her teacher asked the class what their favorite thing was, she answered "Chuck E. Cheese". When she told me that's what she wanted to do for Wyatt's birthday I tucked it away, not revealing that I also thought this was a good idea. When November 4th rolled around she was surprised to find out that we were going to see the big mouse, with Maasen (double bonus).

She played almost every game but only once. After she accomplished that she was ready to go. It was sad to be there without the boys, and the curiosity will always be there about how the three of them would interact as siblings. But celebrating Wyatt's life at Chuck E. Cheese, without him, reminds me of one thing -- Cassidy keeps our hearts full of love and laughter.

4 comments:

Lauren Blake said...

thanks for the smile (watching the video) and the tears... wyatt and zeke are dearly missed.

jdmartin said...

That little giggle makes my heart sing...

Kait said...

how sweet. chuck e. cheese truly is a good way to celebrate. she's a smart girl.

thanks for including us in this-- our hearts are always with you.

Anonymous said...

You are one of the bravest women I know, Leah.