Friday

A few words

...about my husband. People send cards to women, but very often to men. I don't know why this is, and admit I might be guilty of it myself. On days of remembrance this seems especially true. That being said, today I want to tell you about the man Tom Blake is. Or at least who he has been the last 6 years. I think Tom's smile changed the day Wyatt was born:
People told him they were curious to see him as a father. As an adventurer I think some were skeptical he would settle down and parent, responsibly. He did go on a canoe trip 5 days before Wyatt arrived. But as soon as that little boy appeared Tom has been a compassionate, tender,wise and hilarious father. And though the memories and photographs still sting, I am grateful for November 4th, 2005, and the way it changed our lives forever.

As a husband Tom continually tells me how great I am at mothering; he thanks me for what I do. When he was in the middle of full-time painting he would come home exhausted to the beautiful screams of Wyatt and Cassie, "PAPA!" He would immediately chase them into the bedroom and bounce and wrestle with them on the bed. He is never too busy to play, especially with his kids. And though it hurts his heart a bit he still bounces and wrestles with Cassidy.

And he teaches too. He used the holidays to show the children about G-d and His Word and how it should impact our hearts and our lives. Wyatt knew about the importance of the Word and when Tom would get passionate about a topic with friends Wyatt would run to his room and get his Bible so he could participate. Tom read to Wyatt and Cassidy the night Wyatt went with Jesus. Wyatt was primed to encounter the L-rd because of the way Tom fathered him.

In the last two years Tom has continued to be my rock and my safe place. Because of the way he's endured this pain I've been able to see the L-rd as a loving and safe place once again. Instead of getting angry he turned to the only place that held truth and in turn G-d has rewarded him with an open door to develop his gifting as a teacher. A while ago he told me that he doesn't feel like he's received healing, but rather the Word of God and studying has brought him hope. It feels right; the scars are still there, closed but still present, and some days they hurt more than others. On a day like today we weep for the separation but rejoice in the little life we shared together. Our firstborn, Wyatt William.

Thank you, Thomas, for being Wyatt's Buddy Best Friend.

7 comments:

Stephanie Griggs said...

thanks for honoring your husband in so many ways leah. i hope to one day be a wife and mom like you.
i'm remembering your family today. love you.

Susan said...

He is, indeed, a wonderful father. Thinking about him having to wait to see his buddy best friend makes me cry every time. I'm so proud to have such a man as my brother.

Lauren Blake said...

The very fact that Wyatt called Tom buddy best friend shows the type of Dad, Tom is. Thanks for posting this Leah you and Tom continue to amaze me at how you parent and love Cassie, each other and the Lord.

Anonymous said...

I am SO COMPELLED to honor you both! I am daily amazed at what God is doing in and through you both...you are strong and mighty warriors, cutting through the darkness as you courageously wield the Sword of Truth. I daily admire you from afar! And last night, when Tom's flesh might have chosen to retreat,lay down the sword,and be overcome with sadness, instead he was found in my church, glowing and joyful, ministering his gift of teaching to countless young adults, who eagerly learned from him, and were left wanting more! Thank you, Tom Blake! YOU ROCK!

Much love to all the adorable TBlakes,
Marybeth (you know...the "older" Rockrohr!)

cass said...

Tom is such a good papa. & I miss that little guy of your so much.

jdmartin said...

Tom has been one of my favorite people since the day I met him. His smile has always beamed radiance like crazy but I think you're right-it did grow in intensity after Wyatt was born. I thought of you all on Friday - I remember exactly where I was when I heard of Wyatt's arrival. God picked the perfect parents for him. Love you all...

mountain girl said...

What an awesome post. You guys are truly great parents and friends. I look forward to when we can hang with you again!