Sunday

New Life

We took Zuma out to her new home yesterday, and with tear-filled good-byes drove back to our increasingly quiet house. One more letting go, one more absence in our lives. Not as painful as the ones that preceded it, but still painful. As Tom told her new family about the tricks and disciplines Yuma had acquired the sadness grew. What a wonderful dog she is; smart, obedient, loving, compassionate. Once again she has other dog playmates, and two little boys and a little girl to love. As we thought it would be.
I miss her. It's like having an amputated limb. I woke up at 4 this morning expecting to hear her whining. I look at the front window thinking her coney head will be poking out waiting for our return. Cassidy had leftover eggs from breakfast, but I had no dog bowl to dump them in. This will take some adjustment. I miss her. Our only hope is she will have a better life out there than in our home. Her new family is very sweet, and has a lot of land and other distractions for her. It seems like the perfect fit. Well, almost perfect.
 We love Yuma Zuma. Thanks to everyone for coming over to say good-bye. Thanks also to Jeremy for connecting us with the wonderful family that will love Zum back to good health. We pray G-d blesses this family for their kindness and generosity. And may Zuma be a blessing to them. She was to us.

10 comments:

Susan said...

I'm sitting here crying over my brisket dinner.

Maeret said...

wow. i am so sorry to hear about his painful transition in your lives. I felt your heart as I read the post... you are incredible stewards in the Kingdom of G-d. love you all, Maeret

justjess said...

I second Sue's comment, well not the brisket part. I love you.

Stephanie Griggs said...

leah, that is so hard. i absolutely love my dog, and its huge to think about loving her so much that i would let her go. you obviously love yuma so much. you love much.
thanks for writing.

Kait said...

Happy trails to you, yuma.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's good to hear what's on your heart, hard or easy.

bri-bri said...

i'm so sorry that you guys are experiencing yet another difficult loss. don't forget rhodie is available for stinky kisses if you need them. thinking of you always.

Tom and Leah said...

Thanks for your kind words. We got an update from the family and it seems like Yuma is doing alright with the other dogs. We got to see a photo of her and she was actually laying down, not sleeping sitting up.

Megs said...

praying for this transition.

Angel McAdams Prescott said...

Leah, it's strange to have this connection between us but not no each other. So sorry about Zuma and the increasing quietness. As you know there are no words so I just wanted to let you know I was saying a few extra prayers for you!

joyfulnoise said...

Oh I didn't know. How sad but I know it is for the best. Goodbye Yuma.